Sunday, August 4, 2013

Protien-Fortified Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins!!

Is there any muffin more summery, iconic, well loved or berry-licious, than the all American blueberry muffin? Let's find out! After an evening of picking yesterday (blueberries, basil... ahhhh, summer...) we could have done a million things with our blueberries, but we love the portable yumminess and protein in these muffins! All the usual suspects are in these muffins, but we bumped up the berries (2 and 1/2 cups fresh picked, though frozen is fine) and the protein with some whole grain flour and this... Some wheat germ (1/4 cup at the end). Wheat germ is like my little special friend that always shows up when I'm trying to make delicious baked treats, but with a little extra pow! Let 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons) come to room temperature and cream with a mixer. I used a hand held, but you can use a big mixer with the paddle attachment. After about a minute or two, add 1 cup of sugar and cream some more. Next, I added 2 eggs (extra large, but large is ok), 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and mixed some more. Next, I took about 3/4 cup of the blueberries and mashed with a fork. Then I added it to the batter and mixed some more. Next I measured 1 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1 cup all purpose flour (making 2 cups all together), and 1/2 cup of 1% milk (but you can use whole, 2% or what you like). Then I alternately added half the flour, half the milk, the other half of the flour, the rest of the milk, and the wheat germ at the end! Last but not least... I added the rest of the blueberries and carefully folded into the batter... Folding the berries keeps them whole as they combine with the batter! Next I got a handy ice cream scoop and dropped the batter into a lined muffin pan! After scooping my batter into 12 muffin cups, I was left with this! So I got out my mini-muffin pan and used up the rest of the batter to make some mini blueberry treats! Wow! That went a long way... be prepared for extra blueberry muffin deliciousness!! My last step was simple, but you can skip this if you want. I took about 2 spoons of sugar with a few shakes of cinnamon and mixed it together to sprinkle on top my muffins before popping them into a 375 degree oven! After about 17-20 minutes the mini muffins will be done. Mine took about 20. When you insert a toothpick into the muffin, and it comes out clean, they're done! The big pan of muffins took 25 minutes to cook through (but yours may take 25-30 minutes... use your low tech-handy dandy toothpick and check at 25 minutes)! Let's see if these survive the night until breakfast in the morning... highly unlikely...

No comments:

Post a Comment