Monday, August 12, 2013

Blueberry Habanero Sauce! Blueberries Get All Fired Up!!!

Tangy, sweet, unusual... almost kinda weird... but so what... blueberries meet the almighty habanero! Let's see how this turns out... So, I had all these blueberries! It's August, and you may have an abundance of blueberries too... as you should! Today I thought I'd try to make something I've tasted before, but never figured out how to make... a sweet, spicy, blueberry, habanero sauce. That's right, I said habanero.... tread lightly!! So, let's see how this experiment goes.... I washed and picked through the blueberries and put them into a big pot (about 6 cups, just shy of 2 quarts). With the blueberries I added 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1 cup red wine vinegar, 4 cloves garlic shopped, 1 onion chopped, 1 beer, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon chipotle powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and this... Yes... after I sent the children out of the house and far far away... I put on this rubber glove and trembled in fear as I got ready to chop this habanero chili pepper. By the way, DO NOT tell your children how dangerous habaneros are when you buy them (unless you want a gratuitous trip to the ER)... it's like inviting a moth to the flame... 'nuff said! I added everything into a big pot, including the habanero (which just sat there... taunting me... sort of saying... "don't touch your eyes or you'll burn them out of the sockets... even though I was fully "gloved" at the time... sassy habanero...) and placed on medium low heat, for 2 hours... This is what we started with... And this is what we had about an hour later... the house smells like vinegar... shockarooo!!! Hoping the flavor pays off in another hour... After another hour the sauce has reduced, and actually tastes more like blueberry, and less like vinegar... and the habanero did it's job!!!! Holy cow! Tangy sweet, hot, blueberry flavor heaven!!!!!! After the sauce cools a bit (full disclosure, I actually did this the next morning)... add batches of the sauce to a blender or food processor and whiz it up to a silky smooth richness! All this yielded 3 pints of tangy, sweet, spicy, blueberry, "kick yo' butt into next week", super sauce!!! Treat this like BBQ sauce and add to grilled meat or burgers. I'm going to try this on ribs tomorrow, but will freeze some for pork tenderloins soon! YUM!!

3 comments:

  1. Intriguing and delicious looking! Can't wait to see what you use it with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. singapore collapsible cup order online

    ReplyDelete