Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Meatless Monday... Pizza Caprese Style!!

What's better on meatless Monday than piping hot pizza? Tonight's pizza is caprese style with all the summer flavors of fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and fresh picked basil (turned pesto)!! And there we are! One of my favorite flavor profiles EVER!! Sweet tomatoes (about 1 pint cut in halves), about 1/3 cup of pesto, fresh mozzarella (about a cup and a half, sliced), and some grated parmesean cheese I added at the end!! First, I flattened out my dough (home made or store bought, tonight was store bought) onto a pizza pan. Then, I spread my delicious pesto on top... going up and over the edge! YUMM! I love this pesto ("Presto-Pesto" from August 1 post)!!! Next, just plop your cheese pieces evenly over the pesto and top with tomato halves! I added a little fresh black pepper and a handful of pine nuts too! Put the pizza in a 450 degree oven for 10-13 minutes, or until bubbly and golden! While the pizza cooks, I threw together a fresh green salad to round out this perfect meatless Monday dinner! Right after I pulled the pie out of the oven, I grated some fresh parmesean on top and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Fresh mozzarella needs a little time to cool or it's almost "soupy" and won't stay on your pizza. Consider this the cheesey version of the my meat mantra... "let it rest"... you'll be a happy eater in 5 minutes!! No meat? No problem... with this flavor packed caprese style pizza pie!! Thank you summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment