Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Meatballs!!!

So, it's the night before... school! And I might be the ONLY Mom NOT jumping for joy... because now, my kids are gettin' fed outside the home! And I don't like it! Weird, I know... what's WRONG with me???? So tonight, we celebrated with the best "Mama" comfort food ever... MEATBALLS! And they were meaty and tender and fabulous!!! I started with one onion that I fine-chopped, with 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. I added all the parsley I had left in the garden, about 3 tablespoons, chopped, 1 teaspoon crushed red peppper, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper... 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, and 2 eggs whisked together with some milk (about 2 tablespoons). I also added about 1 cup of grated parmesean cheese and about 1 cup of bread crumbs. After I mixed all the seasoning together, I added my 3 pounds of plain old ground beef (80-20) 'cause it was all I had, and used a fork to gently break up the meat and combine it with everything else. Meatballs are like biscuits.... handle gently, and you'll have a tender, tasty treat at the end! After fully combined, I used my handy-dandy ice cream scoop to measure my meat balls and popped onto a greased baking sheet! Meatballs READY!!! Pop them into a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until done! While the meatballs cooked, I whipped up some red sauce to top those delicious meatballs.... Let's go! Now, this really is easy, and so much better than anything you'll ever buy in a jar! Chop 1 small onion, and saute in a pan with olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add 4 cloves of chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 4 (or so) anchovies chopped, and some salt and pepper. Last, add 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, another teaspoon of salt and pepper, and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let your sauce simmer for at least half an hour, but longer is better! Sauce is looking good!! At the end, I used my potato masher to really crush the tomatoes into thick saucey perfection... and it was seriously amazing!! Ooooo baby!! The meatballs are also ready and smell fantastic!!! Time to EAT!! Here's dinner Joe's way... delicious tender meat balls covered in savory tomato sauce topped with grated cheese and basil from the garden, along with some toasted baugette on the side! Comfort food, Mama's way... on the night before school, and my house smells like heaven... Italian style! AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment