Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tuna Turns up the Volume... Sandwich Style!

Can you say tuna sandwich (ho, hum)? Now say grilled tuna steak sandwiches on fresh rolls with some Sriracha-lime sauce topped with fresh greens and tomato... BETTER! Let's go! There are a few parts to this sweet savory tasty meal. The buns, the tuna, and the side... sweet potato wedges! First... don't act like you've never taken a short cut for some fresh, tasty baked goodness. There are a variety of short cuts, and this is one I take a lot. I start many "home made" bread based meals with this. Frozen bread dough. One loaf will make me 8 tasty rolls. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or on counter for about 3 hours. Like I said, simple, divide into 8 even pieces and form into rolls. I put them on a baking pan lined with parchment and let them rise for another couple of hours. After they rise a little bit more, I brush those adorable rolls with some egg-wash and sesame seeds. Egg wash is just egg and a teensy bit of water, mixed with a fork. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. They should look like this. Here's the hard part... LEAVE THEM ALONE! Not that I've ever devoured a pan full of fresh rolls or anything... I'm just sayin'... Park those rolls and give the tuna a chance! Now, on to the sweet potato fries! Now you know how much we love wedges... and these are no different, only sweeter! I started with one bag of organic sweet potatos from Trader Joes (yum). After peeling and rinsing those sweeties, I sliced into wedges. Toss in olive, salt, and some cayenne pepper, just a sprinkle (or as much as you like). Cook those wedges in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes... Or until they look like this! SWEET! Park those babies while you work on the tuna! This is the tuna I used... and for this, I use it often. I get it... it's frozen... but my life is unpredictable, and I like good quality ingredients (maybe not sashimi quality) and I can live with that! Take your tuna out of the package to thaw. Place in a dish and cover. Thaw in fridge. Brush both sides of the tuna with olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill on high heat for 2 and 1/2 minutes per side. (Cue trusty timer... my best friend when it comes to tender grilled meat and fish). After grilling the tuna, cover and (let's all say it together) "let it rest". At least 10 minutes please! So, rolls, check, sweet potato wedges, check, tuna... CHECK! Booyah! Time for some super savory sauce for the sandwich! How about some Sriracha-lime sauce? OH, HECK YEAH! Easy, mix 3/4 cups mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of Srirahca and the juice and zest of one lime. Add to a little mixing bowl and whisk until it looks like this... Holy yummy-sauciness!!! So, here we go! The finish line! To top off these tasty tuna sliders, I sliced some fresh tomato and fresh shallot. You could use red onion if you have it, or whatever you like. Fresh greens will also top our tuna!! Assembly!!! Toast those lovely buns so they feel the love too. Add 1 tablespoon of that zesty lime sauce, and top with some grilled tuna! Top the tuna with fresh tomato, some sweet shallot and those beautiful greens. Slather on another spoon full of zesty lime sauce to the top bun and put it all together! Super healthy, tasty, delicious sandwich! Like a burger, but with tuna, and oh so satisfying! Wedges rocked and with a simple green salad on the side, a great meal! Even on a Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good when YOU make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cuch!! I'm working on another delicious, soft taco, tasty-chicken treat for you this week! One of my fav.s!! Hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. Another fantastic entry. Completely helpful, easy, and awesome. I have to make this this week. I'll take a picture and post it when I do. Thanks Lee. Any ideas for ground turkey???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Shana!!! This was, indeed super tasty! Now, ground turkey... hmmmm... I love foody homework! give me a couple of days! Miss you!

      Delete