Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Side-O-Carrots!

OK... It was band practice day (ahhhh, ALWAYS a great day)... so, playing guitar with some rockin' friends completely trumped cooking dinner tonight. But, if you saw the last post, clearly you know that I have no pride, so cooking from scratch will never stop me from my "bad-gremlin mom-self"!! If I can post a bag of frozen meatballs (regret... regret... regret), I can at least post SOMETHING on "band practice Tuesday"! RIGHT?? And here we go... Not a lot of time tonight, but, actually, tonight isn't about time, it's about the lovely simple pleasure of roasted carrots! I mean seriously, where can you purchase something this sweet and tasty for about 99 cents that taste THIS GOOD?? First I peeled and washed my beautiful carrots. I cut them in irregular long sticks of about the same thickness so they all cook evenly. Set the oven to 375 and toss the carrots (about 16... 4 per person... we LOVE CARROTS) in olive oil (about 2 Tablespoons) and season with some fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt, and about one half teaspoon each: thyme (fresh if you have it) and garlic powder. Toss to coat and pop into your hot oven for at least 30 minutes! While roasting, the sugars in the carrots will caramelize (get brown) and completely develop in flavor! They basically turn into something Willy Wonka would peddle in his produce section (if he had one)... sweet, succulent, tasty yumminess! When done, taste for seasoning and add S or P if you need to... I NEVER need to add one thing after cooking carrots this way. They're killer good, every time.... so good that when my boys get to request their birthday supper.... Stevie requested these cooked carrots! HECK, if a 7th grader can't get enough of these, you know you're on to something tasty and delicious... not to mention, healthy! I won't tell you about the rest of tonight's din, as it will, likely, bring back memories of frozen meatballs (some serious food blog street cred I may never get back). I WILL say, that these carrots are so good we make them at least once a week, no matter what we're having, and their simple, humble, tasty deliciousness makes us extremely happy eaters!!

7 comments:

  1. Let's take a moment to look at that adorable carrot loving boy!! Lucky me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! You inspired me and I made homemade meatballs today!! Good, but time consuming! Next time, Trader Joe's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for checking in!! While Trader Joe's rocks... nothing beats home made (YOURS)!! That silly post was really about the sauce, though those meat balls are seriously worth IT!). So glad you checked in to the gremlin-mom love!!! I totally appreciate your comment and hope you let me know what you think about this gremlin-blog!!!!

      Delete
  3. We had your carrots tonight- should've made twice as many. Deane girls were inhaling them:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad you liked them. I agree... we make too much every time, and they're GONE every time!!

      Delete
  4. Shana just told me about your blog...I love this carrot idea and can't wait to try it and will look through some of your others. I need all the help I can get with a certain picky eater at home.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johannah!! I hope you like these super simple carrots. They are so delicious!! We literally will make these to snack on, they're so good!

      Delete