Thursday, March 14, 2013

Leftovers?? Caramalized Onions!!! BOOYAH!

So... with a house full of food to eat (OH, to BE so fortunate!!) it's left over night. But knowing me, I have to make SOMETHING.... so what better way to liven up leftovers, than with my all time favorite... caramelized onions!!! Caramelized onions... what the HECK are they? Good question! They are just cooked onions, but, seriously LOW and SLOW cooked onions full of mouth watering, sweet flavor and goodness! If you've never had caramelized onions, DANG! CRAZY GOOD on anything!! Now this is all about following directions (did I just turn into a lecturing college professor? YIKES!))... not about ingredients, amounts, or brand names, but low and slow!! I had some beautiful organic onions that I peeled and chopped into half inch slices... 5 onions all together, and placed in a medium heat pan with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and S and P. The thing about onions like this is it's all about taking the time to develop the flavor. Keep the heat low and don't fuss with them too much. Let them blossom! So, between slicing 5 onions and mascara, you may look like a weeping, black-eyed home cook in a Tim Burton movie, as I do, and that's OK! It will be worth it. After 15 minutes your beautiful onions will garner some color and your house will smell like heaven!! After 30 minutes, turn you onions down to low. This is when I add 1 Tablespoon of white wine and a pinch of sugar. You'll see even more color, and wonder why the heck you're babysitting these onions all day/night. BELIEVE ME... when you taste them, you'll know why! After 45 minutes, there's even more color, and the flavor is developing into something magical! Low and slow... awesome onions full of flavor take some time, nothing fancy, just time. After about 1 hour your onions will have reduced by a mile!!! 4 cups of sliced onions turns into 1 cup of onioins, at best. But, that's one cup of sweet, tasty, savory, flavorful deliciousness!! Crazy good on EVERYTHING!! Put these onions in grilled cheese, pizza, roasted chicken, grilled steak, spinach salad... SERIOUSLY! You could put this in a PB and J and I'll bet it will be awesome... though admittedly, THIS I have not tried. On a personal note, I must say, I honor and adore the onion. It is the beginning of all good things. The caramelized onion is something I can't live without! Flavor-up those leftovers, and savor the lovely wonderful flavor of this kind of onion!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment