Sunday, March 10, 2013

College Boys and Shrimp Tacos!!!

First night dabbling in the food blog universe, with, of course, my new addiction, fish tacos!!!! Smokey, garlicky soft shrimp tacos, to be exact! I had 2 college boys home for spring break to feed, so that made today's dinner cooking event even more special (cue: Wonder Woman Apron)!! I must say this is my own creation, totally freakin' delicious and healthy, and I think you MUST make these!! These tacos are SUPER EASY and healthy! There are 2 elements.... the slaw, and the shrimp... first, slaw! Now, I'm no food snob, so, I take short cuts (yup, guilty)! Having said... this slaw is the easiest 10 minute tasty, go with anything", slaw you could ever prepare! I've put this on pulled pork, grilled chicken... you name it! I simply sliced half of the smallest red cabbage and Chinese cabbage I could find. I added shredded carrots (here's where I'm not proud, but takin' that short cut). I diced half a red onion and added a bunch of fresh cilantro. Here's the kicker (as if pre-grated carrots wasn't easy enough) the dressing for the slaw is a prepared (good quality) chipotle dressing. Mix it up with some S and fresh ground P and it's good to go! After peeling the shrimp, I marinated it with 1 tablespoon "cajun spice", 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (my new favorite secret smoky weapon for flavor), 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 5 cloves chopped fresh garlic (not playin'), and the juice of one lime. Of course, I also added kosher salt and fresh ground pepper! Let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes to evolve into tasty-taco lovliness... toss every once in a while to spread the love. While waiting for shrimp to soak in it's lovely bath of goodness and flavor, some friends stopped by!! Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Jack Johnson and Ms. pinot grigio! As I mentioned, my college boys are home for spring break, so... ... we watched the Stooges instead!! My I.Q. dropped by 100 points the minute the Dap Kings left (boo)! I am sufficiently not proud of this detail, but LOVE having my college boys home for dinner! (Dang!) Let that shrimp sit and marinate for at least 20 minutes on the counter. It will be fine and totally grow in flavor! When you start to cook the shrimp it will look a dark grey color, but will cook fast. It only takes 2-3 minutes on each side for shrimp to be cooked. I had a crowded pan and tossed and turned these babies for about 6 minutes. Making sure to turn when shrimp was pink (done) and NOT overcook! When cooked the shrimp will be slightly pink and the edges will curl up a bit. It goes quick, literally a few minutes, so this is when you want to pay attention and not overcook! Taco assembly!!! Warm the super soft tortillas in the microwave for 10 seconds. Add 6-8 shrimp, top with slaw, and garnish with jalapenos, more cilantro, and fresh avocado!!! Super easy healthy and incredibly good! YOU WILL make this again after tasting the soft taco,tasty, healthy goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment