Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken for Maria... and SPROUTS STEAL THE SHOW!!

This super simple chicken dinner was for my friend Maria (who I love and believe has super-hero strength and stunning qualities even SHE may not be aware of). So, while I started making the standard Worthley-House roast chicken, it soon became all about the sprouts! When you taste, you'll KNOW! But first, the chicken.... Tonight I had chicken thighs (bone in). And I like thighs... very forgiving, flavorful, and can take a mis-hap or two and still taste spectacular. So, I seasoned these "bad boys" up quick! It's Monday (after yoga class) and not a lot of time before boys are screamin' about hunger!! First (gross part, but just DO IT), I cleaned and trimmed the extra fat off the thighs. For some reason, when you buy thighs, they sell you a boat load of chicken fat too. NO THANK YOU! Trim off and prepare to season! Tonight (and because of lack of time) I seasoned both sides of the chicken with Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, thyme and oregano and the zest of one lemon. If I had fresh herbs, I would have used them (sigh... fresh summer herb garden), but it's March, and my dreams of the immediate gratification of fresh herbs are months away. Dried will do. A sprinkle on both sides! Here's where I rough chopped about 6 cloves of fresh garlic. Why... when using garlic powder? Because of my allegiance to all things FRESH AND GARLIC!! It might still be winter, but I'm going with both (fresh garlic and garlic powder) tonight!! Sear those chicken thighs in a medium high heat pan for at least 2-3 minutes per side before putting in a 375 degree oven. Searing keeps in the juices and insures a moist, tasty flavor! When both sides have browned, add the juice of the lemon you zested earlier, about 1/4 cup of white wine, and half of the fresh garlic you chopped (saving the other half for the potatoes). Now pop into that 375 degree oven for 40- 45 minutes! Now that the chicken is cooking, time for the potatoes! Tonight, we have these adorable sweet tasty baby red and yukon gold potatoes! They looked so good, I had to bring them home... and cook them... and eat them! After carefully washing all those tasty, tiny, taters, I seasoned them up with salt, pepper, and the rest of the fresh chopped garlic! Some potatoes were a bit bigger than others, so I chopped the big ones in half, to insure even cooking. Then, I popped them in the 375 degree oven with the chicken. And it was clearly crowded! But, we have ONE oven and a mighty appetite, so, we made it work! Let the chicken and the potatoes cook for at least 35 -40 minutes! So, I always need something GREEN with my dinner... so say HELLO to my little friends, these adorable brussel sprouts! There's this restaurant in town called the Lumberyard, and I LOVE their brussel sprouts, so, why not try and make them myself! HECK YEAH!!! Here I go (very experimental and driven by my desire for killer tasty sprouts)!! First, clean, trim, and halve the sprouts. Add to roasting pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon zest (half a lemon is enough at first). Roast for 20 minutes in that 375 degree oven (I snuck them in for the last 20 minutes with the chicken and potatoes)... VERY crowded oven! So, the chicken's done! Pull out and let it rest while you finish the sprouts and the potatoes! Time for the BIG FINISH!!! Get some fresh Parmesan, a slicer, pistachio nuts, and of course, fresh flat leaf parsley!! Rip some of that fresh parsley over those potatoes for freshness and flavor! The color is beautiful too! To prepare our "experimental" sprouts, pop them into a mixing bowl. Shave some fresh Parmesan cheese onto those sprouts! You're building a masterpiece here! Toss in a handful (or as much as you like) of pistachio nuts and the rest of the zest of that second lemon. Now toss! Add a little more fresh pepper and salt to taste, but be prepared for this salad to bring you to your knees! I must say, for a Monday, I'm feeling complete MONDAY-Work-Night-REDEMPTION (from last Monday's frozen meatballs). This "Lumberyard" inspired brussel sprout creation is my NEW FAVORITE! Shazaammm! SO GOOD! BOOM! So let's put it all together!! Simple roasted chicken thighs, roasted garlic baby potatoes, and brussel sprouts with lemon, Parmesan and pistachios! Make this soon. OR... just make the brussel sprouts! I AM NOT KIDDING!! Seriously, they're almost gone... 3 minutes after coming out of the oven... THAT GOOD!!

3 comments:

  1. Lee! You never disappoint! Thanks for dedicating this delicious recipe to me!! The three items you made are all time favorites in this household so I cannot wait to make them your way! DZ LOVES brussel sprouts, so he'll be thrilled! Thanks again, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those sprouts at The Lumberyard...Yummy! And I just bought seeds for brussel sprouts the other day. Made the shrimp scampi dish tonight!Delicious! Loved that trick of saving some of the water...Brilliant! Lee, have you ever grown your own garlic???So easy to do! I planted a ton this past fall, hoping that it will last me the year. Home grown garlic is NOTHING like store bought. It is zesty and pungent and bursts with flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not... but I've tried it from Farmers Market and agree... very different product and flavor! Would love to try yours when it's ready! We could tag team some garlicky flavored recipes!!! Speaking of gardens... CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME FRESH LOCAL PRODUCE!!!!

      Delete