Friday, May 31, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp... HELLO Summer!!!

Never thought of myself as much of a dessert girl, until I tried this crisp! Completely inspired by one of my idols... Ina! She takes quality ingredients, locally grown, and puts FLAVORS together like a maestro conducts a symphony! I rarely buy cookbooks anymore.. but I do buy hers! So... here's what I did. I started with Ina's crisp, and then I cut a lot of sugar out and made it my own (while it was delicious, it didn't need it). Two components, fruit part, and crisp part... cue friut! It's strawberry and rhubarb season, so buy about 4-5 stalks of fresh rhubarb and at least 4 cups of strawberries. Wash fruit and get ready to prepare the filling! Cut your rhubarb into 1 inch chunks. 4 cups. Add to mixing bowl. Hull (cut green caps off) and cut strawberries in half. 4 cups. Add to bowl with rhubarb. Here's where I made this recipe my own. I added the zest of one orange, and half cup of sugar. After zesting that orange, juice it and mix it with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (to thicken the juice). Add the mixture to the filling and toss. Spray baking dish with oil and add the strawberry and rhubarb mixture. Now, get ready for the crispy topping! I fitted my processor with the bread blade (white one) and added half cup of sugar, half cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup of oats (quick), 1 cup of flour, and 1 and 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (12 tablespoons). Pulse the crispy topping with the butter for a minute or two until combined. Sprinkle (with your fingers) over the top of the fruit! Are you getting excited? You should be!!! Pop into a 350 degree oven for an hour... yes, 1 hour. If you don't have any vanilla ice cream in da' house, now's the time to GO GET IT!! After 1 hour... this is what you have! Intoxicating strawberry rhubarb crisp! OMG! Once you make this, you will make it again, and again! Top with your favorite vanilla ice cream and sink into strawberry heaven! Mind blowing flavor! Can you handle this strawberry rhubarb crisp? Try it and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment