Saturday, November 2, 2013

Saturday Night Spicy Noodle Craving!!!!

Have you ever been home on a Saturday night with a hankering for something special, but with little ingredients to inspire the foundation for something tasty? That's MY NIGHT... right now... but I'm determined to make this hankering for some spicy noodles a REALITY! Let's see if I can pull it off?? So, I need spicy noodles... and this is all I could find... I'm not sure where this is going... but it can't be all THAT bad, right? I started by cooking these cellophane noodles... if you don't have these, just use plain old pasta (thin spaghetti or angel hair) and cook according to the package directions! I knew I wanted it "spicy", so I chopped up those 2 red skinny peppers from my neighbors garden... seeds and all! PREPARE FOR HEAT!! If you don't have an awesome neighbor who gives you hot peppers, you can use crushed red pepper flakes to taste. So, I have heat, I have noodles, but I want some crispy nutrition to go with it all, so I chopped up everything I could find... 2 small red bell peppers, a small red onion, and some shredded carrots. I also chopped 6 cloves of garlic, cause I'm not playin'... and I want flavor!!!! After I cooked my noodles, I rinsed them in cold water while I heated up my wok-ish pan. I added a couple of tablespoons of canola oil, and all my chopped veggies and cooked on high heat for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes I added my ridiculously hot red peppers and garlic (can you say flavor explosion?), and cooked for another minute while I mixed it all together. While the veggies and garlic had a wok party, I measured out 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons (half of the soy) of rice wine vinegar. I thought about all that heat with those peppers, and I decided to add a big dollop (tablespoon or so) of honey, to balance the heat. After the soy cooks with the veggies for a minute or two, add the noodles and toss for another couple of minutes until heated through! YUM!! Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and fresh cilantro (if you have it, if not, garnish with a fork and your mouth)... Delicious piping hot spicy noodles with veggies! Hope this dish can live up to the expectations of my Saturday night spicy noodle craving!!!

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummo. will try it. I might add some chicken to make it complete meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added tofu, chicken would be delish!! Hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. Your Saturday night was definitely hotter than mine! Couponing just does not compare! YUM! I love how you can just come up with things spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not... I added sriracha to make it even hotter... I wished I had scallions or sesame oil, but I was out...These noodles are also gluten free... you know.... just in case your wondering!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I made it again a few days later with more garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and plain ol' thin spaghetti... and it was flippin' awesome! I used cabbage and carrots instead of peppers! So good!

      Delete