Sunday, October 20, 2013

Chili and Cheddar Biscuits!

So... after suffering a heartbreaking loss... in overtime... to the Jets... with an obscure call... that NO ONE's ever heard of... giving the Jets a mulligan, and thusly... winning the game... I needed some serious support. Comfort... the kind of love that only a biscuit could provide! So, though tonight, originally, WAS about the chili... NOW... it's about the biscuit! I need some biscuit-love... STAT! So, it's Sunday, of course, and that means FOOTBALL, and serious tasty game time-eats! So, I made my super lean chili with white meat turkey (following all the steps in my chicken chili post: http://gremlinfoodmom.blogspot.com/2013/09/lean-mean-chicken-chili.html). Only, tonight, to thicken my chili, I added a can of fat free refried beans, and LOVED it!! So, chili is cooking, house smells awesome, Pats are playing the Jets, and my universe is happy, you know... perfect! Next thing you know... we're in overtime??? Wha? Then, before I wrap my head around OT... with the... Jets... an official calls a personal foul on a LINEMAN... for... pushing??? Poor Chris Jones, I wish he were here, so I could give him a biscuit and some chili... DANG! So, chili is cooking, I'm turning into the Exorcist's version of Linda Blair over that call... and I turn to Ina Garten, and her cheddar biscuits... and here's how it started... 2 Cups of flour and 1 tablespoon of baking powder with 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a big bowl. Then, I added 1 and 1/2 sticks of cold, unsalted butter (12 tablespoons). I cut up my cold butter, added it to the flour, then used my pastry cutter to incorporate it into the flour (and get out my aggression on that ridiculously bad call in the game)! Next, add half cup of buttermilk and 1 egg. Mix just to combine. Then, I added my cup of shredded cheddar cheese (tossed with a little flour) and dumped the mixture onto the counter. I added flour to the counter so it wouldn't stick. Once on the counter, I kneaded the dough about 6 times (according to Ina) and that was all. Don't overwork your biscuit dough... Then I used a plain ol' glass to roll out the dough into a big rectangle, about an inch thick. After that, I used my low tech pastry cutter to cut the biscuit dough into 12 pieces. With my oven set for 425 degrees, I popped those biscuits in for 20 minutes and paid close attention once I started smelling their comforting cheddary-delisiousness!! After 20 minutes they were perfect! Golden, crispy, and ready for some chili companionship! So... while I'm still not over that heartbreaking loss... I am ready for some delicious comforting chili and cheddar buttermilk biscuits to ease the pain! Thank you biscuits... you always deliver!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment