Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pork and Pie! Yes Please!!!

So, it was a cool crisp beautiful morning (after a week of high temps and humidity serious enough to call off schools in the district... no joke). So, what did I do this morning... make some pie! Thank you fall! And that was only the beginning of this fall feast... That delicious fragrant apple pie lead to plans for a fall feast of pork tenderloins and roasted carrots, brussel sprouts, and buttermilk mashed red potatoes! Can I get an AMEN!! First, I peeled and washed 2 small bags of carrots. drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Next, I did the same thing with the sprouts... wash, halve, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and popped them both in a 375 degree oven! With my veggies in the oven, I washed and quartered half a bag (about 3 pounds) red potatoes and placed in boiling, salted water for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. I mashed with a masher with some salt and pepper. Then, I heated up about 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter and added this warm milky-buttery potion to the potatoes, and mashed some more. Last, I added 1/2 cup of lowfat buttermilk and mashed even more... and they were perfect! Creamy, warm, tangy, salty perfection! So... backtrack... While the veggies were roasting and the taters boiling, I was browning my 2 delicious pork tenderloins. I covered them in a spice rub of 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, rosemary and oregano... and my pork thanked me!! I added some olive oil and browned these tenderloins over medium high heat on all sides. After browning on all sides, I popped my carrots and sprouts OUT of the oven... and added the pork. Jack up the heat to 400 degrees, and leave the pork in for at least 15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 137 degrees. Tonight my pork took 15 minutes, but the thermometer read only 135 degrees on one of those tenderloins, so I popped them in for another 4-5 minutes, and THEY WERE PERFECT! Then, here's where I rested the meat (covered in foil, for at least 10 minutes... important... do it!!), and popped my cooked carrots and sprouts back into the warm oven to heat up while the pork rested! This waiting... resting... might be the hardest 10 minutes of your life, because your house smells like an aromatic, garlicky, delicious pork dinner... but DO IT, so you don't have dry, chewy meat! And here's dinner Joe's way... Tons of everything... hot and delicious, and he was back for more! And dinner Stevie's way... his favorite cooked carrots, juicy tender pork, and creamy smashed buttermilk potatoes... and three teeny tiny sprouts (eaten under protest), but forced to, if he wants pie (I'm all "Gestapo" like that)! And he wants pie! One delicious fall feast with all the comfort and taste a kid could want! Along with the best ending to a beautiful fall Sunday dinner ever... warm apple pie and cool creamy ice cream... Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment