Sunday, September 29, 2013

Comfort Food Delivers... Roasted Lemon Chicken!

Ever had one of those weekends... the worst of weekends, when you need comfort in the worst kind of way? That was my weekend, and I called on my favorite comfort foods, roasted chicken, buttermilk mashed potatoes, and sweet roasted carrots (our fav)! Here's how it went... First, I set my oven to 375 degrees, and rubbed these 4 beautiful chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, the zest and the juice of 1 lemon. I took a handful of thyme from the garden, and shredded it with my fingers and popped that in as well (though dried thyme is fine too). Last, I simply chopped the lemons and threw them in with the chicken. Nothing bad will EVER happen when you throw these ingredients in with chicken... ever! Next, I popped them in the oven on the top rack. Next, I peeled and cut about 20 carrots (we LOVE cooked carrots). I drizzled some olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder on the carrots and popped them in the oven with the chicken on the bottom rack. While all that was happening, I was boiling about 3 pounds (about 7 medium size) potatoes in boiling salted water. When fork tender, I drained and added 2 tablespoons butter and half a cup of milk. Using this high tech kitchen gadget (thank you "masher"), I mashed those taters. Last, I added about half cup (or more) of low-fat buttermilk for tang and flavor, and it was perfect! After 40 minutes or so, I had these beautiful golden roasted carrots! And after 45-55 minutes I had this perfectly roasted lemon-thyme garlic chicken!!! I want to dig in... but I have to let the chicken "rest" for 10 minutes (at least) so it won't be dry or chewy! Just do it! After the chicken rests... serve yourself up some serious comfort... courtesy of this lemon chicken, buttermilk mashed potatoes, and sweet delicious roasted carrots! Comfort was never so necessary, or so juicy and delicious! Thank you roasted lemon chicken! Guaranteed comfort... every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment