Monday, July 15, 2013

Grilled Veggie Pizza!!

I could eat this EVERY DAY! Super thin crispy crusted pizza topped with fresh grilled veggies and fresh mozzarella cheese topped with fresh oregano from the garden!! WOW... what a mouthful, seriously, in more ways than one! There are a few steps to take if you have the time... and if you do, your mouth and your appetite for pizza will thank you! If not, no worries, you can substitute "store bought" dough and sauce, and it will be fabulous!! First element, the crust. Now it is so easy to make this dough. I use my food processor fitted with a dough blade and literally drop everything in and push the button! Before mixing we need to activate the yeast! In one cup of warm water add 2 teaspoons of yeast and a drop or two of honey. Let that sit for about 10 minutes while the yeast wakes up and nibbles on that sweet honey. Soon it will look like this! Wide awake, a little foamy, and ready to party with the flour! Into the processor I added 3 cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of salt. Into the yeast and water I added 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Next, I popped the top on the processor, pushed the button, and poured in the water, yeast and oil. Let it mix for a good 2-3 minutes (for less kneading later... I'm lazy like that). Dump the dough on the counter with some extra flour so it doesn't stick. Knead for a couple of minutes (develop the gluten) or more. today was hot and humid, so my dough was really warm and sticky, I just kept adding flour until it stopped sticking and formed a smooth ball! Now, your basically done! Oil a bowl (or spray) and let the dough rest for at least an hour. I cover the dough with a tea towel and park it in my microwave. Next step... veggies! I'm grilling these veggies for pizza, but I grill veggies all the time and just gobble them up with whatever we're having, they're so super good! I cut one red and yellow pepper, 2 medium zucchini, and one big onion, drizzle with olive oil and a salt and pepper. Grill over medium high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Until they look like this! I dare you to keep your hands off that platter full of tasty veggie goodness! You won't be able to, so make a lot, because you'll eat every last little piece! So good alone, in a baguette with cheese, in soft tacos, over pasta, on fish, or in this case... on top of a pizza! The greatest thing about homemade pizza is everyone can have pizza "their way"!! Stevie's pizza had mozzarella cheese, leftover tomato sauce (or store bought, or pesto) and fresh oregano! Delish!! But, my way... I spread my dough into a big disk and topped with some sauce. Next I tore up some provolone cheese (2 slices) and added that. Then add few pieces of fresh mozzarella and finish with grilled veggies, as many as you like (I like a lot)!! Pop your pizza into a 450 degree oven for about 10 -12 minutes, until golden and bubbly and delicious! Now this whole thing will disappear before you know it! Homemade pizza is super tasty and lots of fun with kids, or any aged pizza eaters! Especially when you make it your way!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm making this one for sure!!! How do you make everything look so amazing?? And the thing is that's it tastes so amazing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was really good Cuch! Good idea for an ambush dinner!!

      Delete
  2. I am pure vegan. And i love all vegan food..and now its about grilled veggie pizza. i will make it at home with the help of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt! I hope you like it! Of all things you can put on a pizza, I think grilled veggies might be my favorite! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete