Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Grilled Shrimp and Summer Squash with Tomatoes Gratin!

My first idea was this... summer veggies with cheese... and it was such a great idea... but it lead me to this idea... what to have with it.... Garlicky grilled shrimp... HECK YEAH!! Let's get started!!! First, the squash and all the fixin's! Now, it's summer, and everyone wants a new way to eat some summer veggies! Tonight I sliced 2 medium zucchini, 2 medium summer (yellow) squash, and 2 big tomatoes! I also chopped one onion and about 6 cloves of garlic (half for the veggies... and half for the shrimp later). After sauteing the onion in some olive oil (1 tablespoon) for about 5-7 minutes, I added the garlic and tossed together for another minute. Then, I sprayed a 13x9 inch pan and spread out that onion and garlic mixture. Before assembling this delicious veggie casserole, I let the tomatoes sit on paper towels. I know this will be super tasty, but tomatoes and veggies are watery, and I'm trying to drain out some moisture before we start. Now... time to assemble!!! Now, as I get ready to assemble my little stacks of tomato and squash slices, I thought... what would put this over the top? How about fresh mozzarella... Yes, please! So after slicing all that squash and tomatoes, it was time to assemble it on top of that onion and garlic mix! I followed a pattern... because I'm a little OCD that way. After stacking all those yummy slices of squash, tomatoe and cheese, it was time to season! Liberally add some salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and cook in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, covered in foil to start. After 30 minutes I removed the foil and added another half cup of grated mozzarella and a handful of grated parmesean cheese to the top. I also noticed how watery it was, so I used my handy-dandy turkey baster to take out some of the water. An easy step, and I'm glad I did!! Now pop back into the oven, uncovered, for another 20 minutes, or until cooked through and veggies are tender. Remember how I had that afterthought of shrimp.... here it is! I marinated 2 pounds of shrimp in 3 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, and about one quarter cup of olive oil. Let it sit for at least 30-45 minutes in the fridge. Time to grill! I soaked my skewers in water for an hour before adding about 8 shrimp per skewer. I used double skewers too... because it makes it easy to manage the shrimp on the grill... so easy! Grill the shrimp over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes per side. That's all... just until pink and edges curl up a bit. This grilled shrimp smells amazing and it's calling my name.... time for dinner, Stevie's way.... Delicious grilled shrimp with summer veggie casserole and toasted french bread! Yummmm! Or... Joe's way... All shrimp and all veggies... no carbs... of course, but full of FLAVOR!!! If you have an abundance of summer squash and zucchini, this is one dish for you!! We LOVED it, and will have it again soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is the most beautiful and colorful dinner!! Looks amazing! :) xo

    ReplyDelete