Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grilled Chicken BLT and Fresh Local Corn! Ahhh... Summahhhh!!!!

So, as usual, I am super excited to have not only my 3 boys home for dinner.... I have one of my favorite extra boys!!! Wooohooo! Boys in da' HOUSE! Happy Mom and happy eaters... and my dinner is super simple and ridiculously delicious!! Grilled chicken BLT's on homemade bread (focaccia) and simple fresh picked (6 hours ago) Hadley corn!! Nothing better! Here we go... First, the transport vessel for our summer sandwich of awesomeness... focaccia... simple flat bread! First, I took my favorite store bought bread dough and let it thaw and spread it over a sheet pan. You can make your flat bread as big or as little as you like. Tonight, we made our enormous!! Then, I drizzled some olive oil over the top and spread that dough with my fingers... putting dimples in the dough as I spread it! Last, I sprinkled some tasty flavor on that bread, poppy seeds, granulated onion, garlic powder and some sesame seeds... but you don't have to. It will be great either way! I cooked the bread in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes, or until golden and cooked through! BOOM! Awesome bread ready for some sandwich deliciousness!! Then, time for simple grilled boneless chicken breasts, super lean, packed with protein, and ready to please this house full of athletic marathon eaters!! All I did was butterfly the breasts in half (the long flat way... making 2 thinner pieces) with a sharp knife. I sprinkled my chicken with some salt and pepper and garlic powder and a little thyme. Then, grilled on medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes per side (depending on thickness), then pulled off the grill to rest. When done, the chicken will lose it's pink color, and seem opaque, firm, but NOT HARD... hard chicken is dry (shoe-leather) chicken... don't overcook the chicken!! And finally!!! The bacon! I cooked my thick cut bacon in a 375 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes until crisp and yummy! BLT's require super tasty salty, crispy bacon, and that's just what we got! So... to assemble the sandwich... split the focaccia and toast it for a minute or two, just to get crisp! Spread with your favorite mayo, slice up that grilled chicken and spread it all over! Top with your favorite lettuce (our was super fresh local red leaf lettuce picked about 10 hours ago... thank you western Mass), sliced tomato, and a few slices (or as many as you like), of that crispy salty bacon!! And here you have it... the simplest icon of a summer sandwich... made with love and grilled chicken goodness! BLT's done RIGHT! And a bunch of boys to share it with.... VERY happy Gremlinmom !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment