Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Summer Pasta.... Shrimp, Sausage, and Boys!!!

So, a lot of you may know I have 3 spectacular boys that I love with every ounce of my full beating heart!! One grown and gone... sigh.... another, Marine about to leave.... yikes... and one High Schooler left! Thank you Jesus!!!) So... nights like tonight are pretty rare, special, and make a Mom's heart explode with love and pride!!! Here's how it went.... First, we planned for a delicious summer pasta dinner... our favorite kind of dinner... and it started with this....plain old pasta, cooked according to the package directions. But, WAIT... it gets better!! Before I cook the pasta I have to thaw and shell these shrimp.... nothing fancy, just frozen shrimp I soaked in cold water, thawed, shelled (Stevie shelled.... and BTW... put your kids to work in the kitchen)... then I soaked them in 4 cloves of chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, some salt pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste! While that shrimp sat in a tasty garlicky marinade, I chopped some fresh, local zucchini! 3 smallish succhini. Nothing better in the summer! AND, WHAT the WHA??? In walked... two more boys!!! All my boys... in da' house! Extremely happy MOM... 'nuff said!!! After chopping my super fresh, extremely local zucchini, I cut up these hot italian sausages that I baked off in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes... and they can't wait to join the pasta party!!! After that, I dropped all that chopped zucchini into a big saute pan on medium high heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil and tossed for about 1-2 minutes! Next, I pushed all that zucchini to the side, and added my garlicky shrimp to the hottest part of the pan so they could have a turn... and I tossed them a bit, too. You want the shrimp to get pink, but, as you can see it's a crowded pan (but I'm lazy, and I have strategies to washing as few dishes as possible)! After a few minutes, the shrimp will start to get pink, and that's the time to start tossing everything all together! When the shrimp are mostly pink, and DON'T worry about all of them getting pink, you do not want to overcook these tender babies... and they will be in that hot pan for another few minutes, but when they are ready, add my favorite... Baby spinach... and toss for about 1 minute. It looks like a lot, but will wilt down in about 30 seconds! Now, toss together, with your cooked sausage, and get ready to add the pasta!!! Tonight I added my pound of cooked spaghetti, and about a half cup of cream, with all that liquid that was already in the pan. Then I added about a half cup of grated parmesean cheese and tossed together to get one of our families all time favorites! Delicious, savory pasta.... infused with local summer veggies and some tasty proteins! Just the way we LIKE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment