Monday, August 4, 2014

Fresh and Local with Cod and Chase!!

Where I live, we're having an embarrassment of riches in the summer vegetable department... and fresh local spectacular veggies are everywhere! Cue Chase... this adorable neighbor dude just started his first, and very own veggie stand... IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD!!! Thank you Chase! You've not only inspired tonight's delicious dinner, but made this Gremlin Mom's day, knowing you're right around the corner.... So, behold... meet Chase, my new constituent and supplier for future Gremlin goodness!! Tonight we took some fresh basil and tomatoes from Chase... and had a great idea for a lean mean summer meal! The other inspiration for tonight's super simple super delicious dinner was Joe... who wanted fish... lean fish... so that's what he got! Tonight it's super simple pan seared cod with a side of garlicky pasta and zucchini topped with sliced fresh cherry tomatoes and basil.... oh, HECK YEAH!!!! So nothing screams summer like this... And this.... And you could basically stop at any corner farm stand, buy two dollars worth of fresh veggies, add your favorite pasta, and have a meal! But tonight we added some delicious fresh fish... cod... YUM! I started by prepping some garlic, about 4 cloves, chopped, and sliced my cherry tomatoes in half. I simply got my big saute pan (or cast iron) on medium high heat and tossed in the zucchini with a little olive oil, salt and pepper for about 3-5 minutes to cook. I added a teaspoon of that chopped garlic for the last minute of it's cooking time. Then, I pulled the barely cooked (and full of nutrition) zucchini out and parked it on the side while I cooked the fish. Next up... cod!! But while my fish cooked, I also cooked my pasta according to the directions on the box (duh...) and just tossed it with some store bought pesto... but I also remembered this trick I saved some of the pasta water and added it to the pasta! You know... so it wouldn't stick together as I tossed it with the pesto. Calorie math.... oil... empty calories. Water... no calories and perfect for this job! Now that the pasta is ready, I tossed it with the pesto and parked that on the side too, while I cooked this spectacular fish! These cod filets were pretty huge (just the way we like them), super fresh, and don't need to be messed with! All I did was add some salt and pepper... and that was it... that's all! Put the filets in a screamin' hot pan on high heat with some olive oil and sear each side for about 3 minutes! After 3 minutes,I added one little tablespoon of butter to the pan, and I carefully turned my fish, and let it go another 3 minutes. Please... don't tell Joe about the butter... I had to do it... and I'm glad I did, and that little pat of butter carried some serious flavor into that fish! "Nuff said! So, let's put it all together!!! Tonight's fabulous Chase inspired summer dinner... and Joe's fresh fish! First, I loaded my plate with the pasta and zucchini, then topped with all those fresh chopped tomatoes! Then, add some of that super tender succulent fish on the side, and you have a winner!! So good, house smells like garlicky goodness... Fresh cod, cooked super simply! Could not be easier. So, thank you Chase!! And thank you Joe! Happy Gremlin Mom with hungry boys, killer great summer veggies, fresh fish... and much to be grateful for!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment