Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Spaghetti and Meatballs!! Manga!!

So, tonight, I have yet another summer night with my boys! Happy Mom! And when I asked what do they want for dinner... they wanted spaghetti and meatballs!!! So, note to self.... when it comes to boys... and Moms... and dinner time together... this is one, hands down, sure bet! Even when they DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT.... THEY WILL WANT THIS!!!! Here's how we started... Now, you can eat sauce from a jar... or you can eat sauce from a tomato... and I always prefer the tomato! But I keep it super simple and just as easy as opening a jar... really!!! Start with a couple of cans of tomatoes.... I used these, St. Marzano tomatoes (they are the best).... but use whatever you have... Then, I chopped some garlic (6 cloves to these 2 cans), and added them to some olive oil on medium heat with 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes. This may be too much for you, you can just add a pinch, or 1 teaspoon, but we LOVE heat... so that's what we did! After adding the garlic and pepper to the olive oil, I added 2 cans of tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and mixed to combine. Turn down the heat to low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes, or up to an hour! I used my wooden spoon to crush, or break down the tomatoes.... eventually, they will cook down, and get soft, and turn into a delicious sauce... BUT... If you have one of these immersion blenders, you can just pop this into your pan, making sure it's on the bottom (or the sauce will fly up into the air) and blend your ingredients. I love my immersion blender, and use it for sauces, soups, and all kinds of things! Go find one at a tag sale or at the flea market.... they are awesome! Finally, tonight, I added turkey meatballs and chicken sausage to my sauce! You can omit the meat and this sauce will be just as tasty... but, my boys wanted meatballs... so that's what we had!! Tonight!!! Savory red sauce fused with sweet garlicky goodness... and some hardy turkey meatballs and spaghetti!! WHO DOESN'T LOVE SPAGHETTI AND MEAT BALLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment