Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Steak Tip and Chicken Kabobs!!

Summer's here! And so is summer BBQ season... so tonight, it's kabobs... Joe's request! So, before our Marine leaves... officially... I will make anything and everything wants, and tonight, it's kabobs! I started with chicken tenders and steak tips, two super meaty, super tender, delicious proteins for our delicious kabobs! First, I marinated the meat for about an hour or two, in some hefty plastic zip loc bags. I cut my strip steak into 3 inch (or less) pieces, and left the chicken tenders whole. To each bag, I added some fresh ground black pepper, about half a teaspoon of kosher salt, and about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh garlic. To the steak, I added some of my favorite spice rub, Montreal Steak Rub... and to the chicken, I added about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Then, I just let that meat sit in the bags and marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge. You can do this in the morning, and pull it out later in the day when your ready to assemble your kabobs! You can use any veggies you want to thread onto your kabobs, but tonight, I used big chunks of red onion, red pepper, zucchini, and yellow summer squash. Just cut all the veggies into big chunks, nothing fancy. To give the veggies some flavor, I tossed them all together with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder! Now, ready to assemble!! I used these metal skewers that I have, but you can buy little wooden skewers anywhere. Just remember to soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes, so they don't literally burst into flames on the grill. When I thread the meat and veggies onto skewers I made sure to give each item some room. I thread the skewer through the meat a couple of times so it could spread out and cook evenly, then I just sprinkled veggies onto each one randomly! Turn your grill on medium high heat to get it good and hot. When I was ready to throw those kabobs on, I quickly turned the flame off to spray with cooking spray (Pam, or whatever), then I turned the grill right back onto medium high heat. Next, I spread the kabobs evenly over the grill and cooked for about 5 minutes on the first side and 3-4 more minutes on the other side (with the grill top open). You can close the top of your grill, but it will make the heat much hotter, so you may want to shorten the cooking time. I didn't want my chicken to dry out, and a little lower heat was just right for these kabobs! When it's cooked through, the meat will be slightly firm, but not dry. Make these tonight!! So tender, juicy and delicious! Pair them with just about anything... rice pilaf, mashed potatoes, grilled bread, tortillas... anything! So kabobbing good!

No comments:

Post a Comment