Saturday, April 12, 2014

Steak and Greens!! Thank You Farm Share!!

Another Saturday night, and I'm one boy down (birthday sleepover... Happy Birthday Connor!!), but I have one grown man-boy left who will pop in for dinner before work! Yay!! The great thing about tonight, is this farm share!!! Thank you Jeannie!!! Tons of delicious greens ready for some action! So tonight, it's all about these fresh tasty farm share greens and a big ol' steak to go with!!! Cue your inner cave man, it's about to get meaty!! So we have these fresh greens, super fresh and local, so I don't want to mess with them too much, I just want to let them "deliver" all their tasty nutrition and flavor, so, to go with the greens, we have fresh, local asparagus! YESSSSS! It's spring, and around here that means asparagus season, so we eat it as often as we can, and tonight, it will add some tasty warmth and flavor to those fresh greens! Trim the ends and wash and let dry. But first... I started with some focaccia!! Which is just bread.... a warm, fresh, Italian version of tasty flat bread... not hard, and super delicious!!! First, I started by adding 2 teaspoons of yeast to 1 cup of warm water. I added a little drizzle of honey, and here's why... we're trying to wake up the yeast, and the honey is like food for the yeast, to wake it up, and add some flavor. Park this cup of water and yeast on the counter for about 10 minutes. It looks pretty gross now, but will wake up and get bubbly and ALIVE soon! In ten minutes it will look like this! I measured 3 cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and 3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to my food processor fit with a dough blade. If you have a bread maker, you can use that, or just add it to a bowl... old school style, you know, like Grandma did!! Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the yeast and water, then add the liquid to the flour while running the processor. I let it run for about 2 minute... to knead the dough... because I'm lazy, but I love fresh bread!! Then, I popped it onto the counter with a little flour and kneaded about a minute more (not 10... because... say it with me... "I'm lazy"). Pop the dough into a greased bowl to rise for about an hour. I popped mine into my warm microwave and let it sit, covered with a dish towel! After an hour, it will double. Then, I plopped it onto a greased baking sheet and let it rise a second time, for about 30 minutes. Now, onto the rest of dinner.... I drizzled that fresh asparagus with olive oil and salt, pepper, and garlic powder and popped it into a 400 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes! Yum!! Then, I prepared these beautiful bone-in rib eye steaks with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and let them sit on the counter and get to room temperature (at least 30 minutes). Now, I'd usually grill these babies, but my grill is an unfortunate fatality due to this years relentless winter, so tonight, we cooked them in a smoking hot pan on top of the stove. First I let the pan get hot (medium high heat at least), then I opened the windows, and added those steaks to the pan for 4 minutes on the first side. Then I turned and cooked on the second side for 3 minutes. Then, I popped them into a 375 degree oven for 2 minutes and pulled them out. They are officially DONE, and hopefully medium rare, so we have to pull them out and let them rest. While the meat rests, I drizzled a tiny bit of olive oil to the focaccia, and dimpled the dough by pushing my fingers in slightly. Then, I popped that focaccia into a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Time for dinner!! Tonight, dinner Joe's way.... Big ol' beautifully cooked bone in rib eye steak with salad greens, accented with Boursin cheese and crunchy pistachio nuts with roasted asparagus and tomatoes! Super delicious, full of meaty flavor with our tasty local greens!! And as usual... the best thing about tonight's dinner... was the man-boy! Anytime you can cook for your grown boys.... spend time with your grown kids.... PRICELESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment