Sunday, April 13, 2014

Chipotle Chicken Soup!!

So, tonight, we had a lot of leftovers... stuff that needed to be used up... kinda like, take it or leave it! So, I decided to make some soup... No recipe, no plan, no flippin' idea what I was thinkin', but I just went with it! So, first things first. Tonight we had a sad old rotissarie chicken carcass, with... some... chicken left. So, I pulled what little chicken was left, and plopped those nutrient packed bones into some boiling water for about 40 minutes with a little salt and pepper. While that was boiling away, I tried to think of what I could use to flavor this soup. Before you know it, I was possessed by the chipotle goddesses, and discovered these babies in the pantry... 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes (my favs), some chic peas (another protien fav), some jalipeno peppers (oooo... spicy, heck yeah!), and some left over stock from last week.... Here we go!!! First, I washed some beautiful kale greens I got from my friend Jeannie's farm share, and vowed to get a farm share from this place... it's like micro-green HEAVEN!!! (Jeannie, you ROCK, and I'm bringing you some soup tomorrow!) So, next, I chopped an onion and some garlic. Those of you who know me know I'm about to lie about how much garlic I used, and you will know to double it.... So, I chopped up one onion, and 3 (wink, wink) cloves of garlic (as in 6... not playin' addin' flavor)!! After I boiled those bones I drained the stock and popped that same pan on the stove with my onions and a little olive oil and sauted on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. Then, I added some shredded carrots, cause they were sad and lonely and left in the veggie drawer. After another minute, I added the garlic and this super flavor weapon.... This chipotle spice rub, 1 huge tablespoon!!! Next, I added my 2 cans of tomatoes. Look at those charred beauties.... I'm officially excited about what's going on here, and can't wait to see it through!! After adding the tomatoes, I added the stock, about 6 cups all together (old and new). To that, I added my greens, 1 package of baby spinach and my farm share of kale (about 2 cups) and let it all wilt down. I also added my chopped jalapenos, about half a cup. After about 10 minutes, I added my chick peas, chopped italian chicken sausage (4 links), and the left over chicken I pecked off the bones before I made the stock. Let the soup cook on medium low for about another 10-15 minutes at least, to come together! Tonight, it was all about "use it or lose it"... using leftovers... and it could NOT have been any better! Spicy, super tasty, and satisfying! Dinner Joe's way.... a big bowl of chipotle chicken soup! Dinner Stevie's way... soup with some toasted focaccia (leftover from last night... and wicked tasty toasted)!! This was so good, I would make it again!!! Even without the leftovers!!! So spicy and so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment