Friday, March 7, 2014

Boys Home For Dinner!! Strip Steak and Squash!

How I miss having a house full of boys to feed!! With two out of my 3 boys, grown and gone (sad face)... I only have one boy left to cook for... but tonight... Joe's in the house! So we busted out some beautiful bone-in strip steaks... Fred Flintstone style... along with our favorite steak side, butternut squash! While not fancy, this is one of my favorite flavor combos. If you haven't had grilled steak (rib eye or strip steak with butternut squash... you should!) Super simple, and prepared just the way mother nature, and flavor purists would love. Now, my grill... a casualty of this years freakin' stormy, relentlessly cold, snowy winter... is out of commission (ugh!). So I had to prepare these beautiful strip steaks inside, on top of my crappy stove, in a pan. UGH! If I can make these steaks taste good in this pan... on this stove, yours will be amazing on a grill, or in a grill pan! I coated each side with olive oil, and used my favorite flavor short cut, Montreal Steak Rub. Then, I got my pan screamin', smokin' hot (medium high-high heat) and dropped those enormous steaks in. I let them sit for 5 minutes on the first side, then, I turned and let them cook on the second side for 4 more minutes. My steaks were freakin' huge (maybe an inch), and 5 minutes on each side will get you to rare. add 1 more minute per side more medium rare, and two more minutes per side for well done. While the steak was smokin' up the house.... the squash was quietly boiling away... peeled and chopped, and took about 20 minutes until fork tender. After boiling the squash, I drained the water, added 1 tablespoon of butter, and some salt(1 teaspoon, kosher) and fresh ground pepper. I mashed with a potato masher, and added a tiny bit of milk to smoothen it up and make it creamy... yummy... and ready for my belly!!! Now, after the steak rests for 10 minutes (the hard part)... here's dinner Joe's way... One huge steak with simple butternut squash on the side. So delicious and super satisfying! Dinner Stevie's way... slightly less steak... with warm creamy squash! Delicious, and totally satisfied our Friday night meat craving for this month! Boys in the house!!! Happy Gremlin Mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment