Thursday, December 26, 2013

Winner, Winner Chicken Swimmer!

What could be better than succulent, juicy, oven roasted chicken? How about your favorite hungry swimmer to join you? Now, she's so darn cute I didn't even notice all that delicious chickeny-butternut juiciness pouring off her plate, but that didn't matter! The chicken and the swimmer got their close-up! So... back to the chicken! Tonight we made this easy-peezy super delicious oven roasted chicken... just in time for a surprise post-practice visit... and we LOVED it! Now, this couldn't be any easier! If you think roasting a chicken is hard... it's NOT! The hardest part is... actually touching the raw chicken... if you can handle that, the rest can be done in your sleep! First, wash and clean your roaster. This was about a 5 pound chicken that I popped in the sink and rinsed with cold water, then blotted with paper towels to get nice and dry. Now, there's all kinds of fancy things I could do to this chicken, like make a compound herb butter and rub under the skin, but I was way too busy for that tonight, so in less than 5 minutes, I got a head of garlic, a lemon, an onion, and that was it! I set my oven for 425 degrees and cut my lemon and my onion in quarters. Then, I just chopped the head of garlic in half. I added kosher salt and pepper to the inside of the chicken, and then just stuffed the lemon, onion, and garlic to the inside of the chicken! Too easy to be this good... but it is! Last, I rubbed the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkled with more salt and pepper and also added dried oregano! Now, some will say "truss" the chicken, tie the legs together... but I didn't bother, and it was totally FINE!! Now, pop into that hot oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. You'll know the chicken is done when the juices from the leg run clear (not pink). If the breast gets too dark while cooking, pop a foil lid on her (nice and snug) while she continues to cook (easy)! So, we're keeping it super simple tonight, so we simply cut up a butternut squash and boiled in salted water. When fork tender, I drained all the water and mashed with my potato masher with a little salt, pepper, and a pat of butter! Super simple and super delicious... cue swimmer... Now, I usually have a house full of eaters, but tonight it was just Stevie and I... so we were glad swim practice ended, and in walked our favorite, hungry swimmer! Great night made even better with super simple, tender, juicy, oven roasted chicken! Now, go make it tonight and see for yourself how easy it is!!

1 comment:

  1. I just can't get over how easy you make everything seem! So effortless when you do it! This sound so delicious, Lee! I already ate dinner but now I am starving again. :)

    ReplyDelete