Saturday, December 21, 2013

Roasted Beef... Sunday Dinner Style!!

So... I dropped my little 8th grade wrestler off at the high school so he could have a long fulfilling day of getting thrown, choked, twisted, and man-handled by a bunch of juniors and seniors. And... Yup... I hate myself! AND... this sport, and things in a boy's life I can't control!!!! Seriously... so, I decided to do something I CAN control... make some delicious, amazing food, courtesy of this 4 and a half pound spoon roast of beef! Along with some roasted carrots (my lil' wrestler's favorite....) and some garlicky roasted potatoes... I can't control his world.... but, perhaps I can control his dinner... and keep him safe and fed... just a little bit longer... So here's how it started! I took my big ol' spoon roast and liberally coated her with salt, fresh pepper, 6 cloves of chopped garlic, rosemary and thyme! Then, I parked her on the counter for a while so I could cook the carrots and potatoes. The meat will be completely fine sitting there at room temperature! It's actually better! So, knowing I have one oven and a big plan for potatoes and carrots, I set that girl to 375 and planned to roast my carrots and potatoes first. As usual I peeled and cut these beautiful carrots so they were mostly the same size and thickness, then dressed them in olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and a little thyme! Then, I popped them in that 375 degree oven, for about 30 minutes... WITH... My washed and chopped Yukon gold potatoes! Also dressed in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme... with a little rosemary as well!! Toss the carrots and the potatoes in those spices and pop them all into that oven together. They will get a head start, and be delicious! While the carrots and potatoes start to cook, I seared the roast beef so it would be ready for some oven space after the carrots and potatoes are cooked. I also added about 6 shallots peeled and halved, and about 12 oz. of button mushrooms... I mean, how bad can shallots and mushrooms be with roast beef??? Right? After those potatoes and carrots have been in your oven for 30-40 minutes, jack the heat up to 400 degrees and put in your seared beef! I let the carrots and potatoes park on top of the stove, and will heat them up when the meat is done! Using your handy-dandy thermometer, test the temp of the beef. I had a 4 and a half pound piece of meat. It will be medium rare when the center reads about 125 degrees. I tested after about 1 hour, and it read 90 degrees. I popped it back in for another 10 minutes... and then my thermometer read 130... and I was so bummed!! Did I overcook this beautiful piece of meat? I always go for a medium rare... and was disappointed. But then, I cut into it, and it was fine, juicy and delicious, and all the carnivores were happy! Including my battle weary, exhausted, hungry sleepy wrestler! This is one amazing Sunday Dinner for family and friends... or one fabulous dinner for some very worthy, hard working, athletic boys! We don't do red meat that often, but when we do, we do it right! ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment