Saturday, December 28, 2013

Biscuits and Boys!

So, today started at 5:40...am, as wrestling days often do. That's right, I voluntarily shipped my boy off for the day to be twisted, tossed, and thrown down... by a bunch of big boys... and I hate myself for it! To make up for all the guilt, I will make all his favorites for dinner when he finally gets home! Starting with these warm, flaky, delicious buttermilk biscuits! Now, biscuits are actually one of the quickest, easiest comfort foods that exist! Once you see how easy they are to make.... and how much everyone loves them... you'll make them all the time! I started with King Arthur Self-rising Flour, 4 cups. Add to that one super cold stick (8 tablespoons) of unsalted butter, cut into pieces. I cut the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter, until the butter and flour combine to look like course meal. You want to combine the butter and flour, without overworking it. Next, I added 1 and 1/3 to 1 and 2/3 cups of low-fat buttermilk. Make sure to shake the buttermilk because it can separate. When the dough comes together, dump it out onto a floured counter and kneed together about 8-10 times. You want to combine the dough but not overwork it (it will get tough). Next, I shape the dough into a big rectangle with my hands and use a pastry scraper to cut it into little pieces. Plop those biscuits onto a big sheet pan and brush with a little egg wash (one egg, beaten with a fork and a few drops of water). Pop your biscuits into a 425 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown! Now, try and keep everyone away from those delicious biscuits until dinner... or not. We had our warm flaky biscuits with chicken and roasted carrots tonight, but, you could have them with anything, at any meal, and everyone will gobble them up! Lots of love... made with love...courtesy of the power of the buttermilk biscuit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment