Thursday, April 4, 2013

Nothing? How About Chicken Salad... Bacon and Avocado! YEAH!

Cue whiny kid voice: There's NO food in there... I'm starving!! Now cue neighbor-kid voice: He's right... there's nothing in there AT ALL! Now, cue Gremlin Mom, in her red super-hero cape (getting out of the car after a long day at work).... "Nothing? Are you sure?" Let's see what Gremlin Mom can make out of "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" (alas... the tale of many a Thursday dinners.... 5 long days away from food shopping day...) Now, while that may look like "nothin'" to a couple of 13 year old boys... I say: SNAP! That looks like the makings of some delicious chicken salad. Add some bacon, sliced tomato and avocado... NOW you have the tastiest kind of a ("nothing") chicken salad sandwich EVER! Here goes! I started with the super lean white meat from 2 left over roasted chicken breasts. This chicken salad is so good, when I do not have any left over chicken, I roast it, just to make this chicken salad! Tonight... I had these! Remove all that moist, tasty chicken from the bone. Slice into bite size pieces and place in bowl to prepare for chicken salad coating of goodness! In a big mixing bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon of tarragon (fresh is better, but, it's early April, and I don't have fresh), 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, and 3 tablespoons of low fat buttermilk. Buttermilk??? In chicken salad? OH YEAH! Buttermilk adds some low fat tang and creaminess that is unique and special! Don't judge, try it!! Add some salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine and you have some seriously special chicken salad fit for a KID (or a Gremlin Mom)!! If I had some celery tonight, I would have definitely added it... at least 2-3 stalks chopped (1/2 to 3/4 cup), but, alas... it's Thursday (no fresh celery... boo!). So here's chicken salad Stevie's way. Toasted french bread, chicken salad, turkey bacon, and fresh sliced tomato, with chips on the side. Not bad... for a fridge full of "nothing". Now, my way... toasted french bread, bacon, chicken salad, topped with fresh tomatoes and sliced avocado! YES PLEASE!! I'll take this kind of "nothing" for a Thursday dinner anytime! Delicious chicken salad with super secret weapon: buttermilk and tarragon!! We LOVE it! You will too!

2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! I like the buttermilk idea and I love tarragon, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Cuch! Way less fat but HUGE on flavor! I wish I had some greens on that sammie... but it was Thursday (sigh)... no greens to be had.

      Delete