Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chicken Soup Love

So, it's late after a long work day, and I'm picking up a sniffly kid whose only hope for happiness is a warm bath and a comforting meal. So how can I make that happen.... from the car.... on my way home... late... and it occurs to me! I have a chicken in the fridge, you know, one of those picked apart, rotisserie chickens with all the "good lean meat gone", but plenty of soup meat left!! So it was then, I decided on some super quick, home made chicken soup.... healing and wonderful! First I took this sorry old rotisserie chicken carcass and picked some meat off. Then, I popped it into some boiling water with a chopped onion, 2 teaspoons of salt, and some fresh ground pepper! Let it rip for about 30 minutes, though more is better. But for us, it's Tuesday, and as soon as my little wrestler gets out of the shower, he's gonna need some TASTY NUTRITION, so I'm on A MISSION... and quick-drive!! After the carcass boils for about half an hour, I strain the water and discard the bones. By the way, please THANK that carcass, and those bones... they will keep your kid healthy and strong for the next 48 hours after eating delicious soup. So, return stock to pot and add some flavor!! By flavor I mean 4 peeled and chopped carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 chopped onion and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Now here's where I started thinking... perhaps too much... but thinking about nutrition, flavor, and taste!!! So I thought, why not add some fiber and protien with some white beans.... BOOM!!! And then I thought, this soup needs something green (but I was out of fresh parsley), so I added a half a bag of baby spinach.... BOOM!!! Then I wondered about some pasta, noodles vs. tortellini.... and after asking Stevie-boy... the answer was clearly TORTELLINI!!!!! So we decided a little grilled cheese, humble, delicious, grilled cheese would make this a meal! Though if it were up to me... this soup is a winner... with or without a sandwich! Share some love if you have a little rotisserie chicken left and make some heart warming chicken soup! Your house will smell like heaven, and your family will be happy eaters full of nutritious comforting soup! And it really only took about 45 minutes, but only 10 minutes of prep!

No comments:

Post a Comment